A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

The Attack of the Chicken Pox

We are under attack by the "chicken pox" here in my house. On Thursday night, while bathing my oldest, I saw a pimple behind his ear. I just figured it was a bug bite, and it didn't seem to bother him at all, so I didn't give it much thought. On Friday, when picking him up from camp, his counselor told me she noticed some more on his back, and behind the other ear. She had taken him to the camp nurse, who thought it was just mosquito bites. The camp counselor was a bit worried as she had not yet had chicken pox.

While waiting for the TTC to come, I noticed even more "bug bites" on his legs and scalp. An elderly lady also waiting at the stop got very anxious when she saw me counting the spots and moved far away from my son, saying she didn't want to get shingles. (can't blame the lady, I hear shingles are quite painful). I took my son to a friend's house who is a nurse and she said it was definitely not mosquito bites, but probably chicken pox and time will tell if it really is. Time certainly told..by Shabbos he was covered with them all over.

I did have a medvisit doctor (doctor housecall service here in the GTA) take a look and she thought it was chicken pox except for the fact it didn't look like a water blister. She thought maybe it was hand foot and mouth disease (except it was all over and not in the right spots for it to be that.) I am positive he has chicken pox. He has them everywhere, in the tushy, on his legs, on his face, scalp, back, tummy, ears throat, tongue, and neck. They are still breaking out even now, motzei shabbos. I have been using calamine lotion on the external ones but tomorrow I must get some Aveeno. Just looking at him makes me itchy..Poor kid :( Telehealth nurses I spoke to told me to swab some antacid on the one on his tongue and it will stop it from hurting.

My other two will also probaby come down with it. I just hope my 8 month old doesn't get it till after his ear tube surgery on August 11th or else they will make me cancel and and we will have to wait another 2 months for the surgery, during which he will just keep getting ear infections..

I am slightly worried as there is a question on whether or not I am immunue to the chicken pox as I had a very mild case of it when I was 13 years old. I only had about 3 or 4 spots in total. I was told I may be immune, but I may not have had a bad enough case to make me immune. I had stupidly put off getting the blood test done..but from what I hear, chances are good enough I am immune and even if I get it, I am 18 weeks along, and it should be ok. Apparently its only really bad to have if you are in the first trimester or the last trimester.

Hopefully the attack of the chicken pox won't last too much longer. At least my son got it now, before school started, though I feel bad he will have to miss some camp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home