A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Breathlessness and pregnancy

I am now 16 weeks pregnant, B"H. For the past few weeks, I've been feeling breathless. Even though this is my fourth pregnancy, I don't know if this is normal or not. I was in an urgent care walk in clinic 3 weeks ago because I felt breathless and had a racing pulse. They hooked me up to a heart monitor and told me, after a few hours of observation, I had a sinus tachycardia, but other than that, everything else, including some bloodwork they did was normal. The doc told me to see my own family doc, which I did, the next day. He referred me to a cardiologist, which, because I am pregnant, I got into see rather fast, instead of the standard 6 month canadian health care is going down the tubes wait. (I will save that for a whole different article) (I am going tomorrow to the cardiologist). But here I sit, being a worrywart, because I feel out of breath just from cleaning up from shabbos and vacuuming, and picking up the toys..hey...maybe I am just DOING TOO MUCH??? :) Maybe it's time to employ the hubby in some housework. :)

seriously, though, my doula (trained labour coach, who, BTW was trained as a midwife but doesn't practice as one due to time constraints (she has 7 kids bli eyen horah) told me she has lots of girls with sinus tachycardia who are pregnant and have other small kids at home. It usually turns out to be from benign causes and nothing to worry about. (yeah, tell that to a worrywart though LOL) She gave me a homeopathic remedy to take (she is also a herbalist. Did I tell you I think she is totally amazing??? :) called Bach's rescue remedy. Sometimes it helps, once in a while it doesn't. but it usually helps more than not. Well, the verdict will be out tomorrow after I am seen by the cardiologist. Wish me luck!! :)

2 Comments:

  • At 9:34 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am 15 weeks pregnant and experiencing the same symptoms. My pulse races to as high as 120 to 140. One doctor told me dehydration can affect heart rate, especially in pregnancy. My mother had serious heart problems during her third pregnancy and ended up getting a pacemaker during the pregnancy, so it really concerns me.

    I previously had hyperthryroid which caused my heart to beat in the 140's all the time. If you continue to have fast pulse, you may want to have that tested as it can result in a miscarriage as well as causing other serious problems.

    I'll be curious to hear what you find out--maybe it's a similar problem to mine. Best wishes!

     
  • At 2:14 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, I have had the same my blood pressure is remaining steady, but when I go from sitting to standing for 2 mins my pulse goes from 86 to 111. my doctor thinks it trying to compensate for another problem so am getting a ecg and maybe a hard scan for my heart. It makes me so panicky which of course exacerbates the problem. Well keep posted!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home