A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Gee, is it hot in here??

I have learned an important lesson today :) Be VERY careful when you cook with olive oil. Yesterday, before the fast, I made some pollock with olive oil and seasonings on a cookie sheet. I learned quickly that was not the best idea as some of the oil leaked out and started to flare up. I put it out, and finished cooking the fish. Today I had the brilliant idea to self clean my oven to get rid of the residue of the olive oil. That was a REALLY REALLY bad idea. It caused a fire in the oven which I could not put out as the oven locks when its in self clean mode until it cools off. I was upstairs when I noticed it seemed a bit smoky and I had a headache. The house got filled with smoke, to the point where my eyes hurt and watered and my throat burned. I opened up the windows upstairs. I happened to check the carbon monoxide detector, which had a reading of 40. A low reading but definitetly bad. So I opened up the front and back door, and the reading went to zerio almost immediately. I was worried about the carbon monoxide because I am 17 weeks pregnant, so I called Mother Risk (a service in the GTA that answers questions related to things that are safe or not safe to be exposed to during pregnancy.) Mother Risk told me that because it was a low level for a short time, it should be okay but the only way to know for sure is to go the ER and have blood drawn. I am not going though because I will be stuck there waiting endlessly, and besides, I am going for an ultrasound next week.

I think from now on I will be extra careful when cooking with oil. Now I just have to figure out how to get the rest of the gunk out of the oven before I cook again so I can avoid a repeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home