A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Sunday, August 15, 2004

The chicken pox strikes twice!!

It's baaaaaack...the chicken pox that is.. This time in babe #2 and #3. I noticed a spot on #2's neck on Friday that at first I thought was just a blemish, until I changed #3's diaper and saw many similar blemishes. I realized it was about 2 weeks since #1 had it, so I then realized they also had chicken pox. Good thing babe #3's ear tube surgery got rescheduled. They don't seem to be bothered by the chicken pox B"H. Babe #3 has a few in the diaper region and a couple on the tummy so if more don't come out in the next few days I wonder if he will still develop immunity against the chicken pox. I will have to ask the pediatrician about that. Babe #2 has chicken pox all over, neck, back, head, tummy, tushy, etc.. I bought a whole box of Aveeno oatmeal bath in case they get too itchy, but so far, so good. I hear the oatmeal bath makes a big mess in the tub.

In other news, the 1st anniversary of the blackout was this past weekend.. On the day of the black out, babe #1 and #2 were watching Dora the Explorer on TV, and I was on bed rest with #3 due to a placental abruption. All of a sudden, everything went out, and I thought it was just our building that had lost electric. But after a half hour, with 2 kids that were pretty mad at Dora's suddden departure, no fans, and no lights, I had to go with the kids down eight flights of steps. Not the best thing when you are supposed to be on bed rest. I went to my friend's house, who also had no electric. We soon found out no one in the entire area had any, and it was quite wide spread. Being there were no traffic lights, there were a lot of car accidents and I was panicking on how hubby was going to make it home ok. Actually, when he was an hour late, the pregnancy hormones kicked in and I kind of got hysterical with worry. It turned out he walked home from his work. We all met up and walked to his parents house where we stayed until Motzei Shabbos. I remember going to No Frills with my mother in law the next day and it was a freaking zoo :) It was like people had not seen food before. My in laws got electric back shortly before shabbos, but my area didn't get it back till late Sunday afternoon. We had to throw out an entire fridge worth of food that had spoiled. During shabos, I realized I had left my antibiotic at our apartment building, so I walked back and up eight flights of steps to get it and other neccessities, (such as change of clothes, more diapers, etc). Luckily I was okay, as I was not supposed to do that being I was on bed rest. Thinking back now, I don't know why I didn't make hubby go get it LOL.
That was certainly a weekend I will not soon forget. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of the blackout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home