A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Friday, January 28, 2005

failure to gain weight

I feel like my heart is breaking. I don't know what is wrong with my new baby. She is not gaining weight. She is three weeks old and she only gained 3 oz since she has been born and is not up to her birth weight yet. The appointment did not go well as you can tell. I have to bring her back in Tuesday morning for another weigh in, along with the food log I've been keeping, and a bottle to feed in front of the doc so he can see himself how well she is taking the bottle (she is a very fussy and is a slow eater). I also have to make a bottle in front of him so he can see if I am doing something wrong. I told him this is my fourth kid, I think I know how to make a bottle, and all my other kids gained okay, with the exception of my other daughter who had an intolerance to milk formula. The doc said that he knows, but he has to consider all possibilities. I am really worried something is wrong with her. She is eating all this formula and where is it going?? why is she not gaining? Why didn't I breast feed if this is how formula feeding was going to be? I am really upset with myself. I should have breastfed. I really wanted to, but I was afraid to try again after what happened with the first try with #1, and now look at all the aggravation I am going through with the stupid formula. If I have another baby in the future, G-d willing, I am definitely going to give breast feeding another try. This crap with the formula is not worth it. The doc told me not to switch formulas as they are all pretty much the same. She is having frequent poops like my other daughter did, except hers are not diarrhea and bulky, where my other daughter's were. What a great Shabbos I am going to have. I am having such a wonderful 3 weeks. (yes, I am being sarcastic). Good thing I still have my sense of humor.
I will post more after Tuesday. And if anyone wants to, please daven that there is nothing seriously wrong with my daughter, and that she should gain weight finally. (being next week is her 4th week and she is still not up at her birthweight :()

3 Comments:

  • At 3:36 p.m., Blogger pregnancyweekly said…

    I am so sorry to hear about the bad news with your daughter! What a scary time. Perhaps she's just starting her rebellious years a little early? I hope things turn out for the better.

     
  • At 3:44 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does she throw up after eating? My sons had a terrible intolence to milk; my first one was so bad that we switched formula all the time, finally succeeding with formula #6, which was about $9.00 a can! (9 years ago.) Their father was also milk intolerant and could only drink goat milk. I breastfed my second, thank God, for 18 months. As soon as he was off the breast we found out that he was allergic to many foods. Milk, soy, peanuts, any dairy, potatoes, corn and so on. He can only eat chicken (he's allergic to pork, beef, lamb and most seafoods) and a few vegetables. And we work with a nutritionist.

    As I read this back, it sounds very scary. Chin up, it's probably the formula. I'm sure after 4 children you have the hang of feeding a child. Good luck.

     
  • At 8:02 p.m., Blogger Tova said…

    Refuah sheleimah to the kids who are throwing up, and good luck with the baby! I hope she gains quickly this week!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home