A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

She's here! (finally!)

On Sunday, January 9, 2005, at 9:12 p.m. my pokey little princess decided to finally come out and meet the world. :) She weighs in at 8 lb 5 oz and is 20 inches long. My labour was pretty short, about 3 hours. We had to wait around all day though for the induction. Here is my birth story for those who are interested. :)

On Sunday, I had not received a call from labour and delivery, and it was already after 8 a.m. I phoned them and they told me they were pretty busy but would call me by noon. 10 minutes later, I received a call from them telling me to come in right away for the induction; that the ob on call wanted me to come in. So we picked up our doula and rushed over, without even getting a chance to eat breakfast. After we arrived, the nurse came out and said, oh good, you are here for your non stress test. I gave her a puzzled look and said no, I am here for my induction. Turned out there was a miscommunication between the nurse that called me and the nuse who told her to call. I had a non stress test, which was good, B"H. When the ob on call examined me though, he decided to go ahead anyway with the induction. I was already 4 cm dilated and having cramping, so I would have probably gone into labour on my own sometime in the next day or two. The problem was, labour and delivery was not busy, but upstairs in the post partum unit, the nicu was full and the nurses needed to give them more attention. They were not happy that the ob decided to induce me anyway. By the time I got into a room and had my water broken it was 3 pm. Luckily, my mother in law sent us with food, which we had for lunch while in triage after the non stress test or else I have no clue how we would have had energy for the labour.

Now the fun begins:

They broke my water and gave me 2 hours to start contractions on my own. The ob (who is chief of obstetrics) had trouble breaking my water as the membranes were quite thick. He had to use an internal fetal monitor to puncture the waters, but it kept slipping off the baby due to her hair (it got tangled in her hair, so he gave up trying to attach it to her, which I am grateful for as I hate internal monitors.). I did not start regular contractions on my own, so by 6 pm. I got an epidural and oxytocin. They had to increase the oxytocin a few times, and by 9 pm, I started feeling pushy. I actually did not have to push, the babe made her way out on her own LOL. She was born at 9:12 p.m. Her apgars were 9 and 9. :)

Now for the scary part: I started passing giant dinner plate size blood clots and my uterus decided to not contract properly after the placenta was out, so I had to remain on oxytocin iv for the next day. It was kind of scary. The nurses kept coming in and massaging my uterus and taking my blood pressure, temp, etc. By 5:30 p.m. the next day, I was still on oxytocin but the nurses were happy with my progress, and my uterus was finally hard, so they took me off the oxytocin. My bleeding was ok, but 1 am today, I passed another giant huge clot. The nurse I told pretty much brushed it off. I was very concerned though as I was afraid about uncontrolled bleeding. I also did not like the way she spoke to . I paged my doula, feelign really bad being it was 1 am but I felt it was warranted. She called me back, and told me if it continues I should ask to see the ob on call, and that some girls who pass lots of clots may need a d and c. She also told me to take ibruprofen and if the pain doesn't stop, then definitely insist on seeing the ob on call right away. B"H the advil worked and I had not passed any more giant clots. but I have to be really really careful the next several weeks or I will G-d forbid end up in the e.r. I stupidly tried lifting babe #3 just before and it hurt too much, even though he is only 13 months old and not too heavy. Hopefully by 4 weeks post partum I will G-d willing be able to go about my normal routine.

That's it for now, I will post more when I am feeling a bit better, probably in the next few days G-d willing :)

4 Comments:

  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Writer Waiting said…

    Yay -- congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures and learn her name. How are your other little ones adjusting?

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!!! I'm so happy that you and your baby are doing well!

     
  • At 2:56 PM, Blogger Tova said…

    Congratulations! I hope you're feeling better. Thanks for giving us the great, detailed update!

     
  • At 4:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    MAZAL TOV
    ARMAND BENDANAN
    MODI'IN - ISRAEL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home