A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Friday, May 27, 2005

The Circle of Life

My ten year high school reunion is coming up. I am not going, as I have become a frum Jew since my graduation, and the venue is treif, and also, I don't think my husband will be keen on us going. But it has made me somewhat nostalgic. (Don't ask me why, as I truly hated my high school years). :) Anyway, it made me ponder on things. Look at how much has changed since the day I have donned my yellow cap and gown. (being an alumni of Monroe Township High School in New Jersey, our school colours were purple and gold and for some strange reason, the boys had to wear the purple...go figure.)

On the day I donned my yellow cap and gown, I had no clue as to what I would do or become with myself. I threw my cap in the air like everyone else and swore we would never lose touch. And we did hold true to that for the most part. But things happen; things change and eventually we lost touch with most of each other. I am still dear friends though with 2 of my high school friends, used to be three, but we didn't become friends to university even though we went to school together, and then after I got married, and had some kids we kind of grew apart) The day I donned my cap and gown was really the first day of a new adventure in life. Two months after I graduated I left for university. I was so homesick. I remember calling my dad and crying to please pick me up, and he wouldn't, as much as he wanted to. Eventually I made friends, and became less and less homesick.

I remember my university days, fun, carefree. I remember brother bruno's pizza night. Every thursday night we would order in tuna subs, pizza, and gab until 4 am. I never really did do too well in my 8 am friday class in philosophy LOL. I wasn't a drinker so I never attended teh pubs with my friends, or the parties where they drank. (I was not frum then, but I still had my principles. :)
I remember bugging the guy that lived across from me in the dorms. We were friends and I had a great time trying to annoy him too LOL. Him and his roommate called me ADTH (Alison down the hall..I lived down the hall from them LOL) I remember fruit bowling. Me and some of my friends would take turn rolling the gross fruit from the cafeteria down the hall, and down the flight of stairs until it hit the bottom. I remember whining about one guy or another and driving my friends insane :) I remember spring fest, and how we would cut our Spanish class and sit on the lawn in front of the student centre. Time marches on, we grow up and grow older.

My parents got divorced in the middle of my second year of university. It was a messy and complicated divorce that affected the whole family. It affected my grades terribly and I needed a new direction in life, I felt. I became interested in knowing more about yiddishkeit, so I started to read on the internet about it on sites such as Aish Hatorah. I had never intended on becoming a frummy at the time. The more I read, the more interested I became. I felt the reform Judaism siddur was not so great for me in terms of davening. That is what made me read more. I knew that there had to be more to Judaism than that. I also felt that, once I learned about the halacha, it would be wrong of me not to follow the rules. I took a leave of absence to concentrate on becoming frum.

In my search to find my roots, I met my bashert. I went on to IRC #Jewish to learn more, and there he was..aka Abie :) I have known him since I was 20..almost 8 years. We have been married for almost 5. I remember, after we got to know each other well, as well as anyone can long distance I suppose, that he jokingly told me to apply at York university. So I did, and I got accepted. My rav knew a rav in toronto, so, come august. away I went. I did the hardest thing anyone ever had to do. I had to leave all my friends and family and go to a new country and start over from scratch. It was worth it, but I do get homesick sometimes. There are no friends like the ones you know since you were young. But I am happy in canada. Now I have 4 kids bli eyen hora and have been frum for 7 years. It's funny the twists and turns you take on the road of life.

This is what I would write for the bio for my high school reunion newsletter which will probably be coming up shortly.

You know, despite me being a frummy, I am still the same old me. I still have my wacky sense of humour. I am still have a bit of a rebellious streak in me :) I still let loose with a naughty word once in a while LOL. Time marches on, we move on and grow older. It's funny where the road of life takes you. You never know what will happen after you toss your graduation cap up in the air. Life is a mystery.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Writer Waiting said…

    Great story, Alison -- thanks for sharing. :)

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess it is me who you became friends with in college! I hope I wasn't the one you were referring to about growing apart!!! We do have to talk soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home