A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Scary experience

Tonight, we were eating pizza for dinner. My 5 year old always takes small bites, and it was only a small slize of pizza from a medium pie and I have never had a problem with him choking on anything before ever. But tonight, he accidentally swallowed a piece without chewing well. His airway was partially obstructed, but he could breathe B"H, but it was raspy. I could see the piece lodged in the back of his throat, but I knew because it was so far back if I tried to remove it with a sweep I would manage to push it in farther G-d forbid. So, I got him into position for the Heimlech maneuver, and just as I was about to do an abdominal thrust, he threw it up because he was so frightened, B"H. I have never been so scared in my life. but being it wasn't a total airway obstruction I wasn't 100 percent panicked, just 95 percent.. If I couldn't get it out after 1 minute I was going to call 911, but I am glad I didn't have to. Besides, the way the ambulances are here, it would be a half hour before one showed up. I bet hatzoloh would have been here way before the ambulance. My son was fine immediately after he spit it out, though his throat is a bit sore. even though it was only a matter of a few seconds, it seemed like an eternity. it gave me quite a good scare. B"H he is fine. I still feel like a basketcase. I think I will make a hot cocoa and try to relax.

Tomorrow is his Hebrew birthday BTW. :) now he is 5 on both the secular and Hebrew calendar. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home