A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

32 week check-up

I just had my 32 week OB check up. I only gained 2 lbs (yay!) bringing my pregnancy weight gain to a total of 19 1/2 lbs. :) Baby is fine B"H. Everything looked good B"H. My OB told me the frequent braxton hicks and cramping were normal as this is my fifth pregnancy, and she urged me to do lots of kegels. I am going back in 2 weeks IY"H. The problem was with scheduling, which was a total nightmare to do. My brother in law has an appointment in 2 weeks on the day I would have gone to my OB, and she could not fit me in earlier in the week. Every time I suggested was booked, and every time she suggested was bad for me. She kept suggesting pm appointments but thats impossible for me, I have to pick up my kids from school, and it takes me an hour to get there via a bus and 2 subway lines. In the end, I am going back slightly over 2 weeks, on the 11th of April. I felt irritated at the secretary for some reason, but I know its not her fault the doc was so booked. I asked her if it would be this difficult to schedule my remaining appointments because I could not go in the pm at all, period. she promised me there would be am appointments for the appointment I schedule after that, and after that I will be going weekly (yikes!) The big day is fast approaching IY"H. Yikes LOL.

Anyway, while I am waiting for the bus home, after riding 2 subway lines some inconsiderate yutz lights up a cigarette right in front of me, obviously not caring he was blowing smoke on a pregnant person, and also the non smoking sign was right next to him that says you will be fined for smoking in the TTC area a. I wanted to tell him off but he looked like a punk, so I just moved away. Some people...sheesh.

I didn't ask my OB but I think the baby has slighty dropped. I noticed it this morning, and my mother in law confirmed my suspicions when she pointed out that there is more space now on top LOL. cool.

In other news, I took #4 to the pediatrician regarding her skin problems. He referred us to a pediatric dermatologist, who is seeing us next friday (the 31). My pediatrician said it looks like she has seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. Poor girl..he gave us some creams to use until we see the dermatologist.

That's it for now, will post more later. This weekend I am going to attempt to clean upstairs for pesach..and we are moving the kids rooms around, #1 and #3 are going into the other room where #4 and an empty crib are now, and #4 and empty crib are moving into the room where #2 is. then I have to move all their clothes around too. and I want to sort through the baby clothes to see what I have for future baby #5 to be G-d willing.


2 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    Wow Alison, I'm so excited for you! You're almost there, hang in there! I miss having a little baby around. :( My 16 month old seems like a little boy now, not a baby at all. Hmm..maybe I should follow your example and have more! You gained only 19.5lbs!? You go girl! That must be a record low between my friends and I. How did you do it? You put us to shame. :)
    You talk about your midwife often. Wait..doula? Midwife? Do you go to an OB/GYN office with midwives? Is that common in Canada? That's what I used with Noah, but it is rare in the US I think...or at least not common. I had a very nice doula also, but she clear forgot our appointment for our second meeting and took her son to the movies instead. Opps! I decided I really needed to fin someone I could count on, I mean, it's labor, that's when you need to feel secure in your choices.

    Well, good job so far! I hope you feel well and that Pesach doesn't get you too tired. I hope #4's skin feels better too! :(
    Lauren

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Blogger Alison said…

    Thanks :) I only gained 19 lbs this time because I do tons of walking while pushing a triple stroller (we don'thave a car and I walk several miles every day to get my errands done, take the kids to school, etc) 2 of the mothers of my daughter's classmates felt bad I was pushing the triple stroller and shlepping to two different schools every day (one for #1 and one for #2) while at the end of my pregnancy so they arranged a car pool for me to take my daughter to school. After I have the baby, they will pick her up for me too.) very nice of them. At first I tried to refuse, because I like walking, but I am actually glad, now there is a car pool for my daughter because of the baby dropping already at 32 weeks, and the fact that #1 (who has aspergers and ADHD has some behavioural difficulty there while we wait for the bell to ring at #2's school,. I don't know what it is about her school that sets him off, but he acts really wild there. the minute we leave he is ok. but at least now, someone will be driving her for me, so I can avoid the situation that triggers the behavioural difficulty. Anyway, getting back to answering your questions.. :)

    My doula practices just as a doula, but is actually trained as a midwife. she never finished getting certified as a midwife as bli eyen hora, she has 7 kids and didn't have time to devote to being a midwife. So its good, I have a doula with the knowledge of a midwife and can do some midwife things. she has a special swab to check if somene is leaking amniotic fluid and also she can check your cervix to see if you are dilating. that is why I have been able to labour at home for the labours and go to the hospital just for the last few centimeters. except for #4 being induced where I had to be at the hospital the whole time, but she stuck by me the whole time. (most of which was waiting for them to get the induction going. :)

    As far as pesach is concerned, its enough to make me want to cry.. :P my kids have made the entire playroom thoroughly chometzdig, and it will take me several days with hubby's help to get it cleaned for pesach. I haven't started pesach cleaning yet, but will start this Sunday IY"H.

    Thanks for your post :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home