A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

School Daze, School Daze...

#1 did not get into the school we were trying to get him accepted to. The vice principal came yesterday to his current school to observe him, and he behaved beautifully. BUT (and there is always a but...sigh) she felt that his skills were not up to the level of the other kids who currently attend that school, and his test scores from his psychoeducational assessment were not so great. So I asked, can I reapply for him next year and was told, we don't see what will change much in one year, his test scores will still remain the same (he will be getting the psychoeducational assessment every 3 years and is not due back for the next one until 2008). So, because the school he is currently at is not meeting his needs either (too low functioning there, which, I feel, is a major reason he is probably lagging behind), we have no choice but to enroll him in public school grade 1 for September. I am disappointed there is no place for him in the Jewish school system. I became frum at age 20, and I always wanted my kids to have the chance I did not have growing up, to attend a frum school, and now I have to send #1 to a public school. Everyone is telling me, he will get the yiddishkeit at home, which is true, but still. Hubby and I were thinking of hiring a Hebrew tutor for him during the upcoming school year, (hubby is at work all day and by the time he gets home, its late already so there is not much time for him to be able to tutor him.)We have to see how costly one would be. Probably still works out less money than his tuition would have been. We do know someone who is a tutor. This is something to look in to. we could aways ask our Rav for a recommendation on a good Hebrew tutor for a child with learning disabilities. after I take #1 to school today I am going to shlep down to the public school with a copy of his IEP, and psychoeducational assessment and register him. I also have to contact that guy from the school board who I was supposed to call in April to arrange for him to come to my son's school to observe him, to see what kind of supports he will need in the classroom in September. I was so sure #1 was getting into the Jewish school that I never bothered registering him in public school or arranging this a few months ago :( Now I hope there is still a spot for him in the school closest to us. It's a terrible shame the Jewish school system here is not equipped to help ALL kids with learning disabilities stay in the Jewish school system. I hear from friends there are a lot of other frum kids in the public school system. Maybe one day I will win the lotto and I will start my own school :) Kidding..

Anyway, its 5 am and I am wide awake. Might as well stay up, have to officially wake up in an hour and a half anyway. I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping this past week. hot flashes, to the point where my whole face is red and I am perspiring tons, sore hips, etc etc. Also for some reason my appetite has increased a lot. I am due in 2 weeks from Friday IY"H. My next OB appointment is tomorrow, and I have a meeting with the doc who is doing some minor gyn. surgery in August on Friday. After that, I told the baby he/she can come out :) (not that the baby will listen to me anyway LOL). I will post more tomorrow after my OB appointment and will update you on how the registration thing went today. Sigh...


3 Comments:

  • At 11:03 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As frustrating as it is for your child not to get into the Jewish School, when all is said and done, you may be happier with his education as well as the services that the public school will provide. As an active Day School parent, having a child with special needs enrolled in a Day School is a FULL time job (for the parent)! No matter what they say, the school is usually not equipped to provide the services that the public school can. I truly believe, that in the end, your child will be better served in the public school.

     
  • At 11:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As frustrating as it is for your child not to get into the Jewish School, when all is said and done, you may be happier with his education as well as the services that the public school will provide. As an active Day School parent, having a child with special needs enrolled in a Day School is a FULL time job (for the parent)! No matter what they say, the school is usually not equipped to provide the services that the public school can. I truly believe, that in the end, your child will be better served in the public school.

     
  • At 1:19 p.m., Anonymous wife & mother said…

    I know this is a very late comment on this one but I am in the same boat with my 6 year old. He was going to a private school and they said they didn't think he would make it through first grade. I demanded them to send me his stardard state testing scores and come to see that he performs above average! Well my husband and I were so angry and removed him from there and he will be going to public school in Sept. I'm not happy about it but I will not have my son make to feel like a complete idiot. In the mean time I will find an alternative private school when we move out to the West.

    Good Luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home