A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Proud to be a New Jersey Girl!

I have lived in Canada since 1998, I am even a dual citizen now. I noticed something interesting about myself though. I find the longer I live in Canada, the prouder I am of having been born and raised in New Jersey. Maybe because its I have grown up deep in the suburbs of New Jersey and just am not a city girl and feel I just do not fit in here very well with the Torontonians. But I find, and a friend's in law visiting from the states concurred with me over shabbos, that we are just more laid back than Torontonians. As much as I thought I hated New Jersey while growing up, I find living in the city makes me a bit homesick for living in the middle of nowhere. (we didn't even have a mall in my town or any bus service :) I remember the excitement of the day was when the fire department got a new truck and the volunteer firemen were driving it around the streets to show it off LOL). I miss the small town heimishe ways. Maybe its just the frum communities are different due to the sheer difference in size. The frum community I belonged to in New Jersey was much smaller than Toronto, and it was easier to be closer to people. I feel a sense of pride when people recognize my New Jerseyan accent, though it was never thick to begin with and has faded a bit since I moved here. Its DAWG, not dog, awrange, not orange :P. I do have friends in Toronto, but I still feel a homesickness for my fellow New Jersey friends. We are going to be visiting NJ IY"H for a week in December, and I am really looking forward to it. It's been five years since I have visited my friends. Anyway, time for breakfast, enough rambling for now.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:57 p.m., Blogger mameloshn said…

    Always nice to read your blog! I admire it, how you manage your life with 5 children. I sometimes have trouble with just 2 children! ;-)

     
  • At 5:44 p.m., Blogger Yiddishkeit said…

    Thanks! :)

     
  • At 10:03 a.m., Anonymous wife & mother said…

    I'm from PA and have been to Canada a number of times to visit family. Canada never did it for me and I always missed being back in PA. It's tough to live in the city with many kids also. I hand it to you I would have lost my mind LOL!

    Have a great time on your visit!

     
  • At 10:04 a.m., Blogger Yiddishkeit said…

    Thanks :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home