A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Diet Doctor No More...

I did a naughty thing today. I went to the 2 hour orientation for the diet doctor. First you get ushered into a meeting room...crammed is a better word. There about 10 of us. Then the assistant comes in, like a drill sergeant. You are not allowed to ask the doctors questions today. You are not allowed to find out test results today. DO not ask. I will NOT tell you. So of course someone raises their hand. She barks back, NO QUESTIONS, Put your hand down. She was very nice to me, I had no problem with her. Anyway, the doc comes in, explains the diet, then says he wants us all to take potassium pills. That the diet can have health risks and thats why we have to be monitored but we can't call with questions. We can only go to our family doc or ER, or walk in clinic if we are not feeling well. WAIT WAIT WAIT, I am thinking POTASSIUM SUPPLEMENTS??!!!! Health risks from the diet??? I got very uncomfortable. The doc said, don't worry, we'll monitor your blood every week. but too little or too much potassium can cause arrhythmia, heart attack etc. That was it for me. I wanted out. After the doc left, I told his assistant, who was now leading the group, that I had to go to the bathroom, and then I left and did not come back. I'm a bad bad girl. I feel bad about leaving that way but I wasn't going to go into a potassium debate in front of the whole group. My father in law is a pharmacist. I worked as his technician for over a year. I KNOW what too low, or too high of a potassium level can do and it can be potentially life threatening. BTW if you really are going to the bathroom, you have to leave your health card at the desk so you really can't sneak out that way. I told the secretary the truth about why I was leaving because I am NOT about to abandon my health card. The weight loss with this doc would have been nice, 5-7 lbs a week the first month, and then 3-5 thereafter. I guess I will have to do it on my own and have stronger will power. I am meeting my friends from university when we IY"H visit NJ and I DO not want them to see me chubby. Yes, I know, B"H I have 5 kids and did not give my body a chance to bounce back, but now I am done with being pregnant and I want to be thin again. I just have to remember the proper way to eat and cut back on portion size.

Anyway, I am in a lousy mood today as first #1's bus came 15 minutes late. then #3 jumped into a dirty pile of wet leaves just as i was about to take him and #2 to school. I had to change his outfit, and then, as I was loading up the stroller, he got into the applesauce. Sigh.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    Thanks for letting us know how your appointment went with the diet doctor. I agree with you that the diet seemed a bit risky not worth it. Especially when you have to think of your children. That right there would have had me heading out the door.

    You can do it on your own. Just control your portions and calories in. Try to get some type of exercise into your day. It seems that you walk more then usual so that's a big plus. Do you have a lot of weight to loose? Stick to something like 1200 calories and you should start to see the weight come off.

    I'm in the same boat with my weight but I haven't started addressing it. Having kids took a toll on my metabolism.

    Good luck and keep us informed!

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Yiddishkeit said…

    I have to lose 60 :( I was 110 prepregnancy and gained 67 lbs with my first pregnancy, never lost it all. my metabolism really slowed down after I had kids and because I had them so close it never got a chance to lose it. but now my baby is almost 18 months and I am visiting friends in NJ IY"H in december who remember me as 110. I do walk a lot as we don't own a car. I think its the portion sizes. I think if i reduce them and start back at the gym regularly I can do it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home