A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Wow!

Wow. I can't get over all the stuff that is kosher here that I can't find in Toronto. I keep buying crap I shouldn't be eating as its junk that Toronto doesn't have. :) I am going to buy funny bones and devil dogs to take back with me :)

I am still quite tired. #1 is not behaving well, the change in environment, the long car ride. He is bouncing off the walls and is driving my dad crazy. We're seeing my aunt and uncle tonight for a bit. Tomorrow I plan on going back to the kosher experience again and buying a few more things I will need before going home next Tuesday.

My 8 year wedding anniversary is Friday. :) But since I don't have a baby sitter, I don't think we will be able to go out alone. 5 kids is too much for my sister to watch.

Thursday I am going to meet my university friends at the kosher dunkin donuts. Yay! :) But I am sort of worried how all 5 of my kids will behave there all together. Today when my friend and her husband came by, #1 and #3 kept messing with the air mattresses and I am embarrassed at how they behaved in front of her. even #2 started getting wild.

To be honest, I don't feel like I am on vacation. I feel like I am doing what I did in Toronto, here. working my butt off. No vacation for me :) for the kids yes. but I am still busy busy busy with laundry, etc. I don't feel up to going to NY tomorrow. Too tired. Unless we can do some shopping. We'll see...

4 Comments:

  • At 11:26 p.m., Blogger Christine said…

    Sounds like you are having an action packed vacation with your family and friends. Great to hear you are doing well in NJ.

    I know how you feel with the behavior of your child. I get the same way sometimes when we are out. I know people who say that their kids are perfectly behaved in public situations and would never and have never stepped out of line. I don't know but I think that's a bunch of nuts to me. Some kids are unpredictable and they all have different personalities. My kids are each so different and how they behave in day to day life can be very different to how they behave when we go somewhere together.

    We have the bad and the good. Don't worry and just try to enjoy yourself.

     
  • At 12:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    why doesn't your husband take a few of your kids so that you can have some time with your friends? you deserve a break too. Why doesn't he help with the laundry? Again, it is your vacation too. You are NOT the maid!! You are not the housekeeper! You are the mom who works so hard and deserves some time with your friends. And more than just going to the Kosher grocery store. It is time for your husband to step up to the plate and give you some well deserved time. Or at least to help with something besides driving.

     
  • At 2:20 p.m., Blogger Christine said…

    I hope you don't mind me saying something here but I couldn't resist cause I get this question all the time.

    I think because we (women) get so use to taking care of it all it even follows through to when we are on vacation. It's not easy to ask someone (like a sister or grandfather) to watch your kids especially when you have more then one LOL! When it comes to the hubby helping they do but in their own way.

    Respectfully I ask that we look at this Bibically.

    Genesis 3:16
    "...thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

    We were made with certain roles and responsibilities as women just as men are. We are equal in God's eyes but God wanted it that way for a reason. Now I'm sure her husband has his ways of helping that we obviously don't know but it may fall into a different catagory. Alos, some mothers just have a hard time leaving their kids for a period of time. I know for me it's more of a headache sometimes leaving them with others.

    For me it just comes natural to want to take care of these things as a wife and mother. Vacation doesn't suddenly change these responsibilities.

    You can't look at it as being a housekeeper or maid. It is our God given role as women to care for our household and children. Husbands take on the very large responsibility of providing for their family, and most importantly loving their wife and children.

    Vacation or no vacation when you are a family with children your time is together as one. Simply being able to spend all this time with her husband in itself could be very rewarding for her and most of all her children.

    Many happy memories will be placed with this vacation they are having as a family.

     
  • At 3:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    of course they will remember having a good vacation as a family. I am a mother, I vacation, I cook, clean, do the laundry, shlep, shop, carry, and the list goes on and on. AND... I am very lucky, I am able to travel often. However, I think that once in a while the father can help, can do something to let the mother have a little brak and some FUN! I don't believe that shlepping through the snow with a broken stroller, and a kid on every side is always easy.

    The FATHER can help. No matter what Genesis says! My husband works hard, plays hard, and HELPS to make sure that once in a while I too enjoy my life.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home