A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Breathe in, Breathe out..




Well, the day ended better than it started, B"H. I got a call at 8:30 am that my pediatrician had to be on call at the hospital, so I had to reschedule the behaviour consultation until tomorrow. In the mean time, I had him physically examined by the doc who was covering for him to make sure he was not ill. B"H he's fine. He had a better day at school, his teacher had called and left a message to let me know. The Autism team observed him briefly this morning, but being he had a doctor appointment, they will come back tomorrow and finish it. Apparently #1 is getting very agitated on the bus ride to school. There is a boy who is extremely wild on the bus and is setting off #1. The Autism team recommended I buy #1 an Ipod for him to listen to on the way to school to distract him from the other boy, and to keep him calm. That's a great idea, but I can't afford an Ipod :( Hubby and I are going to see how much a generic mp3 player would cost. I think its an excellent idea.

The teacher left a message on my machine that he wants to ease my mind, that #1 had a great day, he had his usual shtick, but he did not scream or yell, and was polite and did not disrupt class. Everything was fine all afternoon at home too, until #1 had trouble logging on to some bbc kids web site for science that apparently does not work on safari, only on firefox. we have both browsers, but I didn't know about this glitch, and #1 totally freaked out and had a huge 20 minute melt down. I am going to bring it up tomorrow at the pediatrician's appointment about #1 overreacting over this minor thing. He was fine all day and all afternoon, he was so happy, and I am puzzled why he freaked out like that over a minor issue. Right now he is fine, happy and playing with his toys.

Anyway, I am worn out and tired from the stress from the past 2 days so I am going to go relax now.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:41 a.m., Blogger MA said…

    Having a child with autism is extremely challenging, especially when the spectrum is so wide and encompassing. Sometimes it's not a condition that can be easily described or identified by strangers, many of whom blame the parents for the child's behavior instead of understanding that autism is such a quirky, unique condition.

    My son can be a sweet angel in one moment or a have a horrible meltdown over riding an elevator in the next. We stopped the morning bus ride because it was 90 minutes too long, started when it was still dark outside, and resulted in bad behavior at school. It's a pain to drive him, but he's doing so much better. Routine and consistency help a LOT as well as negotiation for acceptable activities that appeal to his obsessions. Right now, it's bowling, which is highly preferable to elevators, so we take him once a week and indulge his home bowling activities.

    Does your son have a dedicated aide? I find that mine benefits a great deal from having a one-on-one assistant during the day, even with his small class size (8 kids, 4 adults) at a school that specializes in autism and related disorders. I don't know the Canadian education system at all, but perhaps there's an option for your boy. The local county pays the very pricey bill for my son's education at this school, but it's done wonders for him.

    The point in all of these ramblings is not to give unwanted or unheard advice... rather, just my empathy. Each time I read about your son's challenges, I think about my own boy and I wonder what life will be like for him as he gets older.

     
  • At 8:41 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What about finding an old cd player? I am sure that someone you know has one that you could use/borrow.

    It is so frustrating for anyone to try to go on to the web and have it not work. Even for ME! When something goes wrong or doesn't work on the computer I fret until I can get it to work, so I can only imagine your son's frustration, based on my own silly reactions, and I know how to navigate through the internet.

    It is not easy, this child rearing game we are playing.

     
  • At 9:40 a.m., Blogger Yiddishkeit said…

    Hi,
    #1 is in a class also of 8 kids. He has his own educational assistant also. (8 kids, 3 adults including his e.a.) He also has a thing for elevators, he loves them :) He was very excited yesterday when I was picking him up from school for the doctor's appointment about the elevator ride downstairs and wanted me to go in the elevator with him and #4 and #5 in the stroller LOL. How old is you son? Mine is 7 years old. I can empathize about strangers who don't know about the aspergers/autism thing.

     
  • At 10:04 a.m., Blogger MA said…

    My boy is also seven years old. His class is a combined K/1 group and he's been there for a year. On task for academics, but emotionally and verbally... well, he's about two years behind most kids his age. He's borderline Aspergers with a lot of pervasive tendencies. Yesterday's field trip to the aquarium, for example, was a nightmare... he was more interested in the escalators and elevators than the fish. :p

     
  • At 5:10 p.m., Blogger Christine said…

    It is so interesting to read about children with autism. I know nothing about it nor have I known anyone with it. I bet they can be very creative.

    God has certainly given you patience because not everyone could deal with all the meltdowns and such.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home