A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Conversations overheard on the bus...

Two weeks ago, I was on the TTC while hubby was home with the kids, when I overheard a conversation between a mom and her pre-teen daughter. The daughter had made a comment to her mom that she had a learning disability, and the mom replied, no you don't... you're not stupid. As a mom to a son with a learning disability, ADHD, and Asperger's syndrome, I was really miffed by her comment. My son is a bright, beautiful boy, KA"H, who just learns in a different way than ordinary people, he is NOT stupid. I shot her a dirty look, she looking puzzled as to why, not realizing I took offense at her loud proclamation. I kept my mouth shut and said nothing to her, but what I really wanted to do was correct her ignorant statement. It frustrates me when people think like that. Maybe she is the stupid one because she can not realize a learning disabled child just learns things in a nonconventional way. Anyway, word of advice: Think before speaking, especially when on a crowded bus and you are talking quite loudly. ok...that's my vent of the day.

In other news...I am going to give toilet training another try this week with #4. she is over her bout of stomach flu, and I think she is really ready this time. I also think #5 is ready too. she keeps taking her diaper off when she pees, every time. she is not yet two, but I think I am going to give it a try anyway.

This week I am also starting my Pesach cleaning and shopping. Joy of joys LOL.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    That had to be so hard to listen to plus the mother really shouldn't have said that to her child because maybe that child will think they are stupid. Kids go much deeper with our words then we think they do.

    I suffer from BPD and it's hard to tell people because you wonder if they just will lump you in with some crazy group of people without really knowing the issue.

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a shame about that mom. And her poor daughter. What if she does really have a learning disorder, she is going to believe that she is dumb because of it. People really suck sometimes!

    Good luck with potty training. I am going through it with my youngest. She's only 22 months, but she seemed ready so we did it. Took longer than with my oldest (who trained easily at 25 months), but we finally are getting the hang of it!
    -Danielle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home