A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Making Peace with Autism

I just read a pretty good book by Susan Senator, about autism, called "Making Peace with Autism". Though #1 is not full blown autism, but a cousin to it called Asperger's Syndrome, I enjoyed reading the book. I found her experiences with the school system for her son to be helpful and some of her experiences with her son on the playground I could relate to.

Anyway, I know I have not posted in a while, its been very hectic here and I have not been feeling that great, I ended up getting a bad cold. I sold my triple stroller, or will be in the next 15 minutes to someone I know who has a daycare. it does need some repair, so I am not sure how much I am selling it for. I will wait for her to make me an offer. #1 became yellow belt in karate today. Yay #1 :)

#3 is still up to mischief. Last week he flushed 2 plastic toilet paper rollers down the toilet. 80 dollars later...sigh. #2 gave #3 a hair cut with safety scissors during her working on her arts and crafts. SIGH. Hubby is taking #3 to the barber today to fix it.

I officially enrolled #4 in nursery school in September. My baby! It will be so weird with just one home during the day in the next school year.

Anyway, I am waiting for the person to come by and get the stroller, so I am ending this post for today.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:32 p.m., Anonymous MA said…

    It is a such a struggle when the autism is so unique and not as obvious to people. And they don't know how to deal with it, either, which is just as frustrating. Just yesterday, we took our seven year old to the dog park and someone grabbed him (!) and told him to stop running. My spousal unit had words for her, and later another commented how my boy didn't seem autistic because he talked. I just wanted to shake her silly because there are so many flavors on autism on the spectrum!

    Argh.

     
  • At 1:19 p.m., Blogger Yiddishkeit said…

    My in laws are having a hard time with #1's aspergers because he talks and is social, despite his diagnosis from a psychologist who did testing on him. Not all kids with autism are the same way, as you already mentioned. there are so many different varieties. Strangers who see a child acting out should think twice before making comments to the parents and child.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home