A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

me feels sick

I am not feeling well. So achy it feels like my bones are sore. It started off with a sore throat, which is gone now. I think #5 may have an ear infection. She has no fever but was cranky today and barely ate her supper. She does have a cold. I'll see how she is in the morning.

I think next week I will go back to having #1 bussed in the morning. I don't think me walking him or having my mother in law drive him made much of a difference, except on the first day. Every other day this week, his communication journal read he was loud and disruptive in the morning..today it said he refused to do work this morning. If he is going to behave that way regardless of taking the bus or walking, much easier to have him bussed. But the question is, WHY? Why is #1 behaving like this in the morning at school??? I am having a meeting on the 30th with the principal, #1's teacher, and the autism team. I want some answers. I want some solutions. I want #1 in a different school if need be. He never had these problems at the other school he was at last year. I'll see what the autism team recommends. it's no surprise that the co-ordinator did not return my call from last Friday requesting he come back to observe #1 and find a better school placement.

Anyway, I feel crappy so I want to go lie down and rest.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't you think that you need to give it a little more time? Nothing gets fixed easily. From what I know about Aspergers there are no easy fixes. But consistency is the name of the game. I have mentioned this to you before, it would seem that an advocate at your meeting would help the entire situation. This is very complicated and is going to take a LOT of time, one meeting is not goingto solve everything. Does he see a Psychiatrist? What kind of out of school support are you getting for him? Frustrating as all of this may be, it takes time and you need some professional help, from someone on YOUR side, the school side, they are not on your side. They want to give the minimal amount that they can. Thus... the advocate, the Psychiatrist, having YOUR team on YOUR side ... in the end. Benefits NUMBER 1. Good luck

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Z said…

    I think it's a good idea to have the team talk about this. As Asperger's children age...things definitely change and what is expected behavior one year vanishes the next. Perhaps No. 1 needs more structure when he first gets to school or maybe he needs a bus aide. Whatever, I wouldn't give up so soon either. No. 1 has a lot of siblings at home. Maybe this is his way to get attention at school? Who knows..the autistic mind works so much differently than ours. But definitely...let the team try to work this out before you quit. Gut Shabbos!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home