A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Monday, July 28, 2008

sinus infection

I haven't posted in a few days. I am feeling run down and crummy, and on top of it all I had to call a plumber because a dvd remote got flushed down the toilet. This was on Sunday. Because it was Sunday, it cost me $186 plus tax! which comes to 212 dollars. I am quite upset as hubby just got a long awaited bonus and we were using it to buy back to school stuff and I was going to use it to buy the winter boots end of august. now I will have to use a nice chunk of it on this toilet garbage.. :( I have a sinus infection and am feeling incredibly cranky and irritable.

In other news, yesterday, I borrowed the key to the shed from a neighbor on the landscaping committee, with whom #1 shared a bus with her daughter in school last year. Her daughter has some issues (she has anger management issues), and her and #1 didn't get along so well, though #1 was not aware of that fact unfortunately. He came with me to get the key, (I thought they got along for the most part or else I would have left him behind with hubby) and the girl was so rude to my son. All he did was say hi, and she slammed the door on him and screamed at him to get away. He felt so bad after. I told him he was a good boy and unfortunately sometimes people just don't click and its nothing he did. (he really did nothing..the only thing that happened is that on the bus #1 talks kind of loudly and non stop, and she was very rude in dealing with it. She is almost 11 and he is only 7 1/2. She could have been a lot nicer to him about it. It doesn't make a difference anymore I guess because she is going to a different school in September. I worry about #1's self esteem. My best friend in Pennsylvania has a son with mild autism and when we visited last December, #1 and her son got along great. I wish they lived here and then #1 could have such a great friend. I would also have my best friend here. She and I have been friends since I was 8 years old. Here in toronto I find a lot of people in the frum community are snobby, cliquey, and narrow-minded, so different from the friendly community I became frum with in New Jersey 10 years ago. I just want #1 to feel he belongs and feel good about himself.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    Sorry to hear that you have been suffering from the sinus infection and the remote getting flushed. Never a dull moment in your household LOL!

    Hang in there.

    I can't believe that little girl did that. I wonder if her parents are aware of her behavior. I would be horrified if one of my children acted that way with another child. I am always careful to teach my children to treat others as they would want to be treated.

    At least she is going to a different school. At least you'll have one less thing on your mind when he is on the bus.

    Funny what you say about the Canada crowd in your community (who are frum). We have the same issue with our own community. When I visited Canada (Montreal area) I was shocked at how snobby and rude they were compared to my community here in Pennsylvania! Over the top and very materialistic which is so opposite of what we are to be like. I was disappointed to say the least. Of course I'm just speaking of the few I had the unfortunately pleasure of meeting while I was there but it was enough to give me a life long impression.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Yiddishkeit said…

    Hi, the girl yelled at my son right in front of her mother, and she did nothing. I was a bit upset, but not much I could do except make sure #1 and the rude girl avoid each other.

    There is this huge group of girls here also who are all friends and into the latest fashion, have high end clothes, very expensive wigs etc. I always feel like a poor slob around them LOL.

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am sorry to read that you are under the weather again. It is not easy being a mom to five that is for sure, especially finding some time for you. By now, you would think that the plumber and you would have a special discount going on since it seems that there is always something going on in your house related to being thrown down the toilet. Maybe you should put the phones/remotes/and any other objects that are possible toilet tartgets and put them away. In addition, maybe you should give your kids a strong talking to. It seems that they are getting too old for this.

    GOOD LUCK! IT is NOT easy and you are a good mom!

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger MA said…

    It is SOOOO tough watching one's son struggle with establishing and maintaining peer relationships. Kids are awkward in that way, but toss in special needs, and they're downright rotten. My son really wants friends, really wants to play with kids, but they don't get him or only tolerate him long enough to get what they want and then they're gone. I worry about what will happen when he's in junior high and high school.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home