A day in the life of a mother

This blog is about a day in the life of a frum (orthodox Jewish) mother with small children.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Every Parent's Worst Nightmare

I lived through every parent's worst nightmare yesterday. Before I continue this post, I must assure you #5 is now okay, thank G-d, B"H. I am so grateful to Hashem that she is okay. #5, who has been suffering the stomach flu since this past Sunday, and whom I took twice to the walk in clinic, wouldn't wake up yesterday. She was breathing but limp in my arms. I lay her back on the bed and gently shook her, and said wake up, and she just whimpered, and half opened her eyes. She was so pale. Hubby put her on her feet, and she started to walk, but not normally. I ran downstairs and called Hatzolah, a Jewish volunteer EMT service who come right away and call 911 for you and stays with you until the ambulance comes and the EMTs from the ambulance take over. Hatzolah tested her blood sugar, and it was 2. Normal is 3 and above. They had me give he some juice, but she still would not come around. Her pulse was fast, and her body temp was only 95.7 degree celcius. normal is 98.6. I was totally freaking out. I was on the phone with the 911 dispatcher, and I started crying. so the 911 lady goes, is there more to the situation that your not telling me? I was thinking what the hell?? I told her, you would cry too if you saw your baby lying there unconscious!! she said she was sorry for asking, but she's seen a lot in her career, and she had to ask. She said she is a mom too and she can understand how I am feeling. I got myself together but was still really freaking out. I mean, I am anxious on a good day to begin with. As soon as the ambulance came, and assessed her, her blood sugar was up to 2.8 but she was still not really responsive, but at least her eyes were open finally. We got into the ambulance, hubby stayed with the other kids and took a vacation day, but I forgot her socks. (she was barefoot. at least I grabbed her coat). We rushed to the hospital, ambulance wailing the whole way. They put us right into the resuscitation room. The doctor was young but very nice. The emts gave #5 glucagon on the way there so she was much more alert at this point but still very weak. The nurse was so nice, and reassuring. but I could tell the situation was very serious. The doctor gave her a head to toe exam, and asked me about #5's stomach flu, and said he might admit her over night. In the mean time, #5 was able to sit up and we put her on the potty (she is trained, B"H) and she gave them a urine sample. He said because she was throwing up and having diarrhea, and not eating much, her body used up its energy stores, and that caused her blood sugar to drop so low. but she is not in danger anymore. , the doc said we can go into a normal e.r. room at that point and she would be given some juice and carbs. She didn't need an IV because she was able to keep things down. She had not thrown up since Sunday and diarrhea stopped Monday night. tuesday it was just loose stool. but her body had lost a lot of fluids during that time. The nurse told me when we first came in she thought it was the worst possible case for #5 and she is so glad #5 will be okay. I told her good thing she didn't tell me that when we came in or I would really have been a bigger basket case than I already was.

So we go into a regular e.r. room and #5 had juice. Then the nurse took her sugar again and it was 6. Then I was allowed to give her some breakfast cereal and more juice. The nurses gave her a pretty smilely face ring and some coloring pages and crayons. #5's skin color pinked up, and she started being herself again. She even colored the wall LOL. I was much calmer by this point as my little one was back to normal. After a few hours of regular blood sugar checks, and observation that her behaviour was back to normal, i.e. she was perky, standing up on the bed, wanting to walk around the e.r. the doc came and told us to follow up with the pediatrician. he said he is happy she colored on the wall, that he would rather see that any day then the way she was when we arrived. They called it hypoglycemic lethargy. he gave me a copy of the e.r. report to give to my pediatrician.

I went to my pediatrician late afternoon. #5 is okay, B"H. One thing I noticed was at the hospital everyone kept asking me if we had diabetes in my family. the pediatrician asked me too. I told him no, and I was curious why everyone kept asking me. Apparently the most common reason for this to happen is if by accident a child ingests your medicine, like Metformin, etc. But B"H no one in my family is on any of these meds. Then the doc asked if #5 had any alchohol in her system. Nope. we dont' have alcohol in my house, none of us drink. we use grape juice on shabbos. The pediatrician told me because she had a few days of not eating much and losing a lot of fluids it used up her energy stores. basically waht the er. had said. I asked him how do I prevent this from happening again the next time she has the stomach flu? and he told me pedialyte. So being everything's closed today due to xmas, tomorrow I am going to buy some. I am always going to keep this in the house. I never want to live through a nightmare like this again. The pediatrician told me if her blood sugar had dropped below 2.0 she could have had a seizure. B"H she is okay. Lesson learned: PEDIALITE!!!!

11 Comments:

  • At 2:33 PM, Anonymous LeeAnn said…

    OMG, ALison. I am so glad she is okay. That is terrifying!

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad that she is ok. We always keep pediolite in our house.

     
  • At 2:09 AM, Anonymous Lisa411 said…

    New Mommy Survival Guides help take the stress out of first time motherhood @ www.webspawner.com/users/
    newmommyguides/index.html

     
  • At 2:01 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    I am so glad to hear that everything is OK. I hope you keep us informed on how things are.

    Christine

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Ari said…

    Just checking in on you. How are things holding up?

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Anonymous asos said…

    Just think you might be interested.
    Little asos launches this Friday!
    A adorable kidswear range will be launched on this Friday.
    Easy way to shop for your little sweat heart

    asos
    xx

     
  • At 2:34 AM, Blogger joshua said…

    I am so glad that she is fine. You are right that as a parent one has lots to learn. Keep sharing!

    This is Joshua from Israeli Uncensored News

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    Just checking in. How are you doing? You haven't blogged in a long time. Give us some sign your OK.

     
  • At 2:35 AM, Anonymous nancy said…

    Glad to know that she is alright..

    Happy mothers Day

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Akshay said…

    Father's Day is celebrated for a special person of the family - father. All the sun and daughter are express love feeling with their dad and make a day extremely special. If you want to celebrate this Father Day with your father, then you need to some Beautiful Fathers Day Images, Fathers day Wallpapers, and Fathers Day GIF. Happy Fathers Day quotes Here we collect best Fathers Day Quotes Images for you. Father's Day is celebrated in all over the world on the different days.

     
  • At 1:48 AM, Blogger NEWS NATION said…


    Christmas is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, observed most commonly on December 25 as a religious and cultural celebration among billions of people around the world. A feast central to the Christian liturgical year,http://www.merrychristmasquotesimageswishes.com/2016/12/merry-christmas-images-pictures-wallpapers.html it is preceded by the season of Advent or the Nativity Fast and initiates the season of Christmastide, which historically in the West lasts twelve days and culminates on Twelfth Night in some traditions, Christmastide includes an Octave. Christmas Day is a public holiday in many of the world's nations, is celebrated religiously by a majority of Christians, as well as culturally by many non-Christians, and forms an integral part of the holiday season. In several countries, celebrating Christmas Eve has the main focus rather than Christmas Day.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

     

Post a Comment

<< Home